A long tradition of success
Despite its rapid growth in the past few decades, DORMA has remained a family-owned company.
Rudolf Mankel and his brother-in-law, Wilhelm Dörken, founded Dörken & Mankel KG in Ennepetal, Germany, on July 1, 1908. The first products to come out of the factory were double-action door hinges and milled screws. Right from the start, the two partners imposed the very highest quality standards on their products. The principle that applied even at that time - "Better the best at a good price than to disappoint our customers" - was destined to influence significantly the path adopted by the company.
In 1913, Dörken & Mankel KG break ground on a new production facility in Ennepetal growing its manufacturing space to more than one million square feet.
The brand name DORMA, an acronym formed from the two surnames of the company founders, was registered with the German Patent Office in 1927. Then, in 1936, Wilhelm Dörken left Dörken & Mankel KG and Rudolf Mankel set about running the company as its sole proprietor.
In 1950, after the upheavals of the Second World War, the company began manufacturing the TS 50 door closer, taking us into a sector in which - in revenue terms - we are today the world market leader. The product range was also extended to include, for a period, the "Mekanik" metal construction kit, and punched components for the radio and television industry. By 1962, DORMA had begun production of a range of door operators and so took its first steps into the automatics market. And here too, the company is among the world elite.
In 1970 saw the establishment of DORMA GmbH Co. KG and in the same year Karl-Rudolf Mankel, grandson of the co-founder, joined the company. The ensuing period saw increased emphasis on global alignment and further extensions to the product segments. In 1976, the company moved into the field of glass door furniture and fittings, and 1977 saw the creation of a subsidiary specialising in this sector, DORMA-Glas. Also in 1977, we established our first foreign sales company in the form of DORMA France. And just one year later, our first foreign manufacturing facility was opened in Singapore.
DORMA gained access to further new markets by entering into the security and emergency escape technology sector in 1987. The year 2000 heralded a new management structure comprising a holding company, five divisions and 13 sales regions, established with the purpose of further improving DORMA's global position and better preparing it for the challenges of the future.
2008 saw celebrations at many of DORMA's sites around the world to mark its 100th year of existence. And at the beginning of 2009, the fourth generation of proprietors assumed a share of the responsibility for managing the company, with sole proprietor Karl-Rudolf Mankel passing on a majority of his participating interest in DORMA to his daughters Christine and Stephanie Mankel.
In order to be even better equipped to meet present and future global market demands, in 2010 DORMA introduced its strategic programme "DORMA 2020" and, on January 1, 2011, a new management structure aligned to this new commitment. The new organisation, consisting of a 14-member international management committee and five sales regions with P L responsibility, reflects the strategy adopted for growth through to 2020.
Today, DORMA enjoys ongoing success and sees itself as the trusted global partner for premium access solutions and services enabling better buildings.